Monday, July 6, 2009

OPPS




So as most of you know I have developed a passion for driving around searching out birds. I have been doing this for several weeks now and this weekend I kinda got into trouble. No picture as I was afraid to try and get the camera out.
I went to Cascade over the 4th and watched, the White Pelicans, Black Birds, Ducks, Greebs, Yellowheaded Blackbirds, Bluebirds, a couple of Ospreys, Robins, and a Blue Heron, (also a fox) . Now you would think I would be happy with that but NOT me.....So on the way home I drive back through Sage Hen (which is beautiful) and I see a flock of Waxwings...beautiful bird, 8 Turkey Buzzards, many Meadow Larks, and a beautiful little bird (don't know what it is yet)sitting on a great nest with 4 eggs in it. Ok so I am near Montour so lets go take a look at what might be out. I was there the week before and seen a great Hawk, a Spotted Tohee, many Violet swallows, so why not go back. So I am in Montour and the birds are not really out but I am wandering around anyway. I do see a beautiful tiny hummingbird (no picture) and than I decide to try and drive around this big mud puddle. While parked I watched a little Mazda do it so why can't I. So I drive up to it, take a look and drive over to the side..just before I get all the way around it my front tire hits the water and it sucks me in like a big ole drain. I am still moving so I gun it and just move further out into the center...so I try reversing and it is only getting worse. I grab my phone and call Phil, who tells me he will be right there. As I wait my car seems to be sinking and water starts coming into the floor..I am freaking so I call him again and he tells me to sit tight he is on his way. The water is higher and the car is tilting so I crawl out of the passenger side and stand in the road and worry. Long story short..Phil shows up pulls me out, we bail water, he checks out the car( thank God no damage) and we go back to his place to wash the mud off and tell Amanda what I did. Than I had to go tell Rick and Mindy and be scolded because NO ONE knew where I was and how lucky I was to have had phone service and so forth. All agree that if I am to continue this I have to have a different type of car and take someone with me. Since I can't afford a jeep/truck and I don't have a birding buddy guess I will just have to make sure they always know where I am. I gotta say I was really worried and will NEVER try that stunt again, truly thought my car was gonna turn over before Phil could get there. But I won't quit seeking out my little and big feathered friends.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Don't stop Maria Louisa.. Just stay out of the mud.

The Laws said...

Now you know...stay on paved roads only! :)

Wendy said...

You are so funny! I would have loved to been there but you know what mom would've said about the whole experience, LOL! I'm glad to hear it all ended well but I have to agree with my cousins-keep someone posted as to where you'll be!